Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

ReadWriteWeb

Technology has it's pro's and con's.  Every time I try to learn some new technology, I certainly require additional time to experiment (as well as make some mistakes).  While I was taking a look at some of the recent articles on the ReadWriteWeb, I found a link to 'cartoonize' myself from a site called 'my web face' :  http://home.mywebface.com/hp.pl 
Needless to say, I couldn't resist.  So - here I am.  I could have added in a few wrinkles - but I prefer my dimples. :)


I also saw an interesting article about the recent problems that Facebook has experienced with the release of individual's personal information:  
 Facebook to encript user ID
 Instead of encouraging me to further engage in this type of communication, it only heightened my hesitation (which has always been present).   My children enjoy technology and it's ease of communication, but I am more reluctant.  I wonder who is watching, listening, and reading it.  I also wonder if it will always be 'out there' somewhere in cyberspace for someone else to find or trip over.  How can it affect someone's life then?  Perhaps I am not as trusting because of the environment that I grew up in (Detroit area), or maybe it has something to do with my father's profession (law enforcement), or my own profession (health profession) and the importance of patient's HIPPA rights (realizing that electronic devices automatically store patient sensitive information and the devices cannot be treated the 'normal' way).  Now that I am an educator, I am cautious about what I post on the web.  I am not only concerned about copy rights, but my students identities as well.  They may have signed releases to me to use photos for the college, but they have not signed anything allowing me to post anything for a college course that I am taking.  I also have a dean that is no fan of i.e. youtube - for posting anything that might directly relate to a course through their program.  Technology can be exciting, but as educators we also need to be wise as to how we choose to utilize it personally as well as professionally. 

I look forward to learning more about technology options through EDU 653, as well as all the potential safeguards and cautions that might need to be enlisted.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa - I'm always warning my kids (especially my college-age son) to watch what he posts on Facebook. Employers are checking applicants' Facebook pages during the screening process and it would be sad if someone didn't get a job because of inappropriate pictures or comments. I always say "once it's out there, it's out there."

    ReplyDelete